Barrack 27 was part of the outer area of the Naval Community Camp II, erected in 1939 for the construction of the Kriegsmarine Öllager Farge [Navy Oil Camp Farge] in the Neuenkirchener Heide [Neuenkirchen Moor] of Lower Saxony. The barrack dates back to the winter of 1944-45 and belongs to the type of construction almost entirely made of concrete parts: concrete piers, slabs, racks and roof slabs. So much of the original character had been preserved, that in 1997, Barrack 27 was put under monument protection by the county of Osterholz, Lower Saxony.


Unfortunately, despite ongoing research, the original purpose of the barrack is still unknown.  Harry says that it reminds him of the Administration Barrack in the Marinelager, but one thing is certain, it was not an accommodation barrack for prisoners.


After the War, when the entire barracks complex of the former naval community commander II was transformed into the Neuenkirchen Evangelical Hospital, Barrack 27 became home to a shoemaker's shop and a sardine shop.  When the Bundeswehr [German Army] took over the facility in 1963, Barrack 27 became an artisan barracks and remained so until 1997 when it was abandoned by the Bundeswehr and demolition of the site, including Barrack 27, was planned.


But thankfully, this did not happen.  The Geschichtslehrpfad Lagerstraße [History Trail Camp Road] Association, a group of concerned citizens and local historians, worked tirelessly to block the demolition plans and to acquire both the site and the barrack.  They leased the property from 1999 and in 2004, eventually became owners of the property and formally named it Barrack 27.


The Association has been able to benefit from the barrack since 1999 and it soon proved to be an important link between Bunker Valentin and the former camps.  After careful restoration and with a lot of volunteer work carried out by members of the association, Barrack 27 now serves as a centre and base for the realization of its memorial concept, to educate and help people understand the past history of this place.


More information is available on the following link: